Welcome to Dixboro Guitar! I’m a full-time guitar teacher, songwriter, recording artist, and performer from Ann Arbor, MI.
I have 10+ years of teaching experience working with all ages, and I have been playing guitar for 20+ years. I now teach private guitar lessons in my home studio, Dixboro Guitar, found in the Dixboro neighborhood of Ann Arbor/Superior Township.
My wife, Natalie Burg, and I are both self-employed, making our living through the arts. (Natalie is a freelance journalist and writer.)
A few years ago, Natalie wrote an article about the charm of the Dixboro neighborhood, and we instantly fell in love with the historic spot in the northwest corner of Ann Arbor!
The stars aligned, and we bought our quaint Cape Cod home in 2014. We recently celebrated the birth of our first child, Virginia Lee, on March 28, 2015! You can call her Ginny. We also have a lovable dog name Lois.
Before doing music full-time, I taught high school English for eight years at Holly High School.
My original music and tour schedule can be found at mikevial.com.
- Masters of Science in Education, from Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL
- BA in Secondary Education from Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
- Dixboro Guitar/Great Lake Effect Publishing, 2011-present
- My private music instruction, song publishing, and performance work.
- Expressions Music Academy, Novi, MI. Feb 2014 – May 2015
- Taught guitar to 30+ students as a private guitar instructor
- Led two seasons, as a band conductor, of the C3 youth class
- Holly High School, Holly, MI, 2003-2011
- Mattawan Consolidated Schools, Mattawan, MI, 2003
- Tutored homebound instruction; intern teacher
- Blue Owl Songwriting Award, Lansing, MI 2014
- ForSongSake Songwriting Award, 2012
- Ypsilanti Public Library, Songwriting Festival Contest, 2010
- WMU Battle of the Bands, 2nd place, 2002
I have studied music in various forms, from classes at WMU; private guitar lessons from Trish Mroz, Ken Andreoni, and other teachers; and vocal lesson from Dr. Linda Venable and the Grammy nominated Kate Hart.
* * *
Mike Vial, Michigan, Pure Michigan, Local Music, Teacher, Ann Arbor, Canton, Plymouth, Brighton, Washtenaw County, University of Michigan, Wayne County, Dixboro, Guitar Lessons, Private Lesons, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar